Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rather well said

Criticizing the media for failing to live up to its obligations to the democratic process has long been the purview of Jon Stewart and the writers at The Daily Show. They do it often and they do it well. This week, Gail Collins and Dan Rather have stepped up to join in.

The next time you hear about another round of layoffs at a TV news division, the closing of a bureau, the decision not to cover a foreign story with full force, remember this week of silliness in April.
(Dan Rather)

It's nice to see some heavy (ish) weights joining JS & company in this.

14 people died in a suicide bombing in Morocco today and this is what CNN looks like:




I don't mean to say that caring about the Royal Wedding is bad. I have plenty of friends who are super excited about it and to an extent I think that's fine. I'm not serious all the time; I adore novels and romantic comedies and TV shows. I think there is anything wrong with loving sports or celebrities or any other "frivolous" diversion. I think it IS wrong when the news media mistakes entertainment for news for the sake of ratings. Donald Trump is a perfect example of this. There is no earthly reason why he should be considered news worthy. None.

Ok I'm not going to rant any more. Read the Collins/Rather pieces, as they are quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment