Friday, May 27, 2011

What friends are

Sometimes you take one in the teeth.

Yesterday was a bad day for me before anything went wrong at work. I'll be up front about that. There are certain kinds of wounds that don't heal right, that leave just big empty spaces inside until even compassion hurts too much. My life has this disfiguring scar from years ago that changed so much about who I am and where I ended up and how I got here. Most days I don't think about it. Some days I can't help but stare. It is small and spiteful and beneath me to still think this, but I resent the hell out of every normal moment he gets to have. I suppose I could avoid knowing it, but news of him is like a tumor surrounded by too many healthy cells to cut out completely. I have cut out enough of my life and I would rather spend a resentful few days than cut out any more. Since I'm on a bit of a Col. Brandon kick lately I will think May He Endeavor To Deserve It until I forget, again.

So, anyway, when a chance at catching a big shoplifter yesterday was missed because of my mistake, I took it pretty hard. Every one messes up, and in a high-stakes game the heightened thrill is a direct result of the possibility that something like this can happen. That you can mess up in the smallest way imaginable and the consequences are huge. So I fucked up just about as badly as I ever have in an employment situation. But the moment you really mess up is the moment you learn the kind of stuff your friendships are made of. Mine amaze me. Literal and figurative shoulders to cry on. Kind words of support when I needed them. The misguided but still appreciated instinct to grab car keys and come rescue me. Stories of mistakes on the same level. My writers group boys not minding that I was both drunk and miserable. and then, this morning, my boss being so amazingly decent about it all. Everything is OK. I still simmer with regret and self-reproach but I will make up for it.

You pick yourself up, you take a deep breath and you get through. Then you stop crowing about small victories till you find one that rivals this mistake.

That is how.


So what now? New lady gaga, a shower, the end of a new Jason Vanhee novel and an early bedtime. Life is going to kick my ass sometimes, I'm going to make mistakes sometimes, and I'm glad I have people in my life to be there for me.

Thanks, all.

2 comments:

  1. All's well that ends well ... mostly. It was fun talking to you today about mister M.

    ReplyDelete