Friday, March 25, 2011

Professors shouldn't be allowed to be this foolish

This morning I got this e-mail from a prof I'll have next quarter:

Hi all,
I’m looking forward to our class beginning next week, and I wanted to send you the list of required texts now so that you can acquire them as cheaply as possible. Ayoob (2008) is the first book that we will be reading—you will need to begin reading it by Thursday April 1st.
I have NOT ordered these books through the bookstore, because many of them are available far cheaper to you if you by them through on-line sellers. This week I did an availably check though Amazon (although of course you can buy them though any seller you like) and there are enough used copies in circulation for the class, in addition to new copies. Additionally, all of the books will be at the on the library reserve shelf on a 24hr reserve. Needless to say, there will be a lot of demand on the books over the weekend and the day before you are to have read them, so unless you plan on reading a week ahead in the schedule, I suggest you consider purchasing the books. Also, I wanted to mention that I noticed that Amazon is offering free 2-day shipping to students (I don’t know if that covers used books as well).
I hope you are all enjoying your break, and I’ll see you on Tuesday.
Best, Prof -----


So here is, basically, what this professor has done: She's given us less time to get these books (This e-mail went out today class starts Tuesday and the website used to check required textbooks has said none were required for this class the whole time) while simultaneously taking away our most convenient option (the University bookstore). That's a big enough issue. Furthermore, she's denying us the ability to support a local, independent bookstore that happens to also support students at our school (full disclosure: it's also my employer, but I bought my textbooks at University books before I worked there.) and instead suggested we buy from amazon.com- a large national company putting bookstores across the country out of business. 2-day shipping does not apply to used books in most cases and since Amazon's used market contracts through individual sellers, I'll likely be paying shipping on each of 8 books she's required.


While I think it's nice that she's trying to save us money, waiting this long to send us the list, and denying us the ability to get the books through U bookstore (I can probably order them through the U bookstore, but had she placed the order weeks ago with all the other professors, they might have been able to get enough used copies for all of my classmates, something that is easier to do for class-sized orders with sufficient notice than for a single last-minute order.) If she wants to send her students to Amazon.com that's fine for her but she should also order the books through the established mechanism at U bookstore (like every other prof at UW) for the sake of convenience and to support our local independent bookstore.

I suspect this professor had simpler motives than a desire to save us a few pennies (after shipping I doubt very much the savings will be greater than a bookstore price including the student rebate.) I'm guessing she didn't order her books in time and is blaming the bookstore for that. Which is both tedious and insulting to my intelligence.

Ok, that's my rant for the day. If you're in the mood to weigh in, tell me: Should I drop the class? Should I tell the professor what I think?

2 comments:

  1. Damn girl. That pisses me off too. One of my professors has ordered books that are "special order only" and are not readily available online. It is infuriating. It would be hard for me to not respond to your prof's email with full fury and righteous indignation. I think you should email her, of course tactfully, and let her know how flawed this whole idea is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this! I've put up a link on facebook, and printed out a few copies to hand out to folks. There has to be some way to address this kind of brick-headed ignorance, but I'm not just sure how. Don't blame you for questioning the intelligence and or integrity of this idiot, but don't withdraw unless you really want to. Instead, maybe, use the class as a forum.

    ReplyDelete